[tor-relays] Info about Provider Scaleway and cheap "ARM server"

Olaf Grimm jeep665 at posteo.de
Tue May 1 20:53:08 UTC 2018

Dear readers,

I tried to use different operating systems and hardware architectures
for my Tor relays for diversity. So I came to the Parisian provider
Scaleways, which has a cheap offer for ARM servers for € 2.99 per month.
Debian was available with architecture "armhf / armv7l". I knew that,
but I did not want to believe it. After performance trouble and a server
crash I tested "/etc/cpuinfo" and 'lscpu'. There are Raspberry Pi in the
cloud! From my personal device at home I know, that full cpu performance
will kill the device due to overheating. Oh no! Must change to the next
offer with x86_64 for € 11,99 / month. What can I expect? An old Pentium
with 400MHz?

https://www.scaleway.com/baremetal-cloud-servers/

My order was "C1 - A true metal ARM server running in the cloud."

"4 Dedicated ARM Cores, 2GB Memory, 50GB SSD Disk / 200Mbit/s unmetered
bandwith"

The information for interested parties only. No discussion required.

Olaf