[tor-relays] arm crashes

Gary jaffacakemonster53 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 12:07:34 UTC 2018

Hello.

On 25 March 2018 at 07:46, smichel0 <smichel0 at protonmail.com> wrote:

> Things getting slower and slower. "Fast"-, "V2Dir"- and "stable"-flags are
> gone.
> Speedtest (netztest.at): 24 Mbit/s down and 6,2 Mbit/s up, ping: 43 ms.

I'm sorry I should of said speedtest-cli / speedtest.net is not the most
scientific way to monitor & measure your relay as it might take a different
circuit every time. It also puts extra strain on the network. Still it is
interesting to see how fast your CPU will let the transfer go. Perhaps run
it once every few days and average out the results over a long time. I dont
have "numbers evidence" but I am sure the network is getting faster now the
DoS mitigations have been introduced.

Notebook and router where both rebooted yesterday.

My router is from my ISP, part of their marketing is to "have the strongest
wifi signal" and one of the things to help with this is the router
automatically reboots every 10 to 14 days. Before I had a relay it waited
until the night when their is no broadband usage however because its always
in use now it apparently won't wait more than 14 days and reboot anyway.
Also, sometimes the people I live with interfere with it from time to time
when they deem their Netflix experience to be poor.

Together these occasional reboots are fine and wont break the relay but
they will break peoples connections that go through the relay. Tor will
work out when their is an IP address change (caused by router reboot) and
work around it but the relay will lose some flags for a short while.

I try to wait until there is an OS update and reboot the PC and router at
the same time, perhaps you should try the same.

Thanks.