[tor-relays] potential relayor Address bug

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Sat Mar 24 15:18:00 UTC 2018

> At time of writing, the VM has 4 cores of Xeon E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz

I estimate that you should be able to do ~90MByte/s per instance on that CPU

> with 8 GB of main memory.

this might be a bit tight if you run 8 instances since I expect an instance
to use a bit more than 1GB of memory, but your limited exit policy might help you
here. Just keep an eye on memory usage and drop an instance if you are swapping
excessively.

> My plan is to observe the system a bit over the next weeks.

thumbs-up

>>> Yes, it's the ansible-relayor. Great work, and btw: Thank you!
>>>
>>> But unfortunately, atlas recognized only the two instances on the
>>> main
>>> IP.
>>
>> You can _not_ have more than two tor instances per public IPv4
>> address.
> The system has 4 public IPv4 addresses.

oh I misunderstood your "only the _two_ instances on the main IP."
sentence.

> There is no NAT.
>
> I don't know, but it seemed to me, that Tor wasn't able to use the
> correct IPs:
> --- %< ---
> Mär 22 02:19:47 tor Tor-185.220.100.253_9000[586]: Your server (185.220.100.252:9000) has not managed to conf
> irm that its ORPort is reachable. Relays do not publish descriptors until their ORPort and DirPort are reachable. Ple
> ase check your firewalls, ports, address, /etc/hosts file, etc.
> --- >% ---

This is interesting, the instance on 185.220.100.25*3*_9000 expects
to be reachable via 185.220.100.25*2*:9000.
This is not expected because relayor uses OutboundBindAddress to make
sure every instance uses its own outbound IP (so that the auto detection should
see/detect the correct IP).

In the future feel free to report a bug if ansible-relayor does not
work out of the box for you.

I filed a bug for this here:
https://github.com/nusenu/ansible-relayor/issues/153

Would you be able to send me your playbook and "ip address" output,
so I can try to reproduce? (also off-list)
(if you have more than a single default route/interface also the routing
table)

thanks,
nusenu

--