[tor-relays] arm crashes

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Fri Mar 23 21:13:51 UTC 2018

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 11:53:08AM -0400, smichel0 wrote:
> Yes, thank you. Nyx is running, but the relay is down again. It was down in the morning. I restartet it and now it's obvisely down again since noon. But nyx is still OK.
>
> Now I restartet it and enclosed the log because the log makes not really sence to me.

The logs don't show any problems with the relay itself (so far as I could
see), but they do maybe indicate that this computer has a flaky internet
connection. The worst case is that your relay is getting enough attention
that your home router can't handle it and freezes up or starts dropping
packets or something. Or maybe things are just flaky. That's the next
thing to investigate.

> Besides: I can't start the tor-browser, it says "SIGNATURE VERIFICATION FAILED!" You might e under attack, or there might just be a networking problem. Click Start try the download again. Then it starts downloading the Tor Browser Bundle again and afterwards I get the same error. Firefox works fine.

That's an unrelated and different problem. The problem is that you're
not actually using Tor Browser -- you're using a separate program called
"torbrowser-launcher", which has some bugs that you're hitting. Most
likely these bugs are fixed in a later version of torbrowser-launcher
that your distro doesn't have yet.

The simplest answer is to switch to actually using Tor Browser:
https://www.torproject.org/download/download-easy

--Roger