[tor-relays] Previous Guard not getting Guard flag back

Matthew Glennon matthew at glennon.online
Wed Mar 21 17:29:59 UTC 2018

Sorry - that was crass. Thanks for the attempt, but I've read those
documents. Specifically, I'm looking into what has changed, if anything. Is
it just below the threshold of the Weighted Uptime? (e.g. we have enough
Guards?) I asked because I was told that the bwauth issues were holding
people back before (because everyone was unmeasured). Since that was
resolved but still no guard flag, I was becoming curious.

I'll just sit back and wait some more.
Matt

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 1:23 PM Vasilis <andz at torproject.org> wrote:

> Hi Matthew,
>
> Matthew Glennon:
> > While I understand that my relay lost the guard flag because of a weekend
> > of downtime, I would expect that it would get it back after a while of
> > stable again? Anyone able to shed some light on when it will get the flag
> > back?
> >
> https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/924B24AFA7F075D059E8EEB284CC400B33D3D036
>
> "Directory authorities assign the Guard flag to relays based on three
> characteristics: "bandwidth" (they need to have a large enough consensus
> weight), "weighted fractional uptime" (they need to be working most of the
> time), and "time known" (to make attacks more expensive, we don't want to
> give
> the Guard flag to relays that haven't been around a while first). This last
> characteristic is most relevant here: on today's Tor network, you're first
> eligible for the Guard flag on day eight."
>
> I will suggest you to read the lifecycle of the new relay post [1], the
> Guard
> FAQ [2] and the guard flag section of the directory protocol [3].
>
> [1] https://blog.torproject.org/lifecycle-new-relay
> [2] https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq#EntryGuards
> [3] https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/dir-spec.txt#n2490
>
> Hope this helps.
>

> Cheers,
> ~Vasilis
> --
> Fingerprint: 8FD5 CF5F 39FC 03EB B382 7470 5FBF 70B1 D126 0162
> Pubkey: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5FBF70B1D1260162

Matthew Glennon
matthew at glennon.online
PGP Signing Available Upon Request