[tor-relays] Previous Guard not getting Guard flag back

Vasilis andz at torproject.org
Wed Mar 21 17:23:00 UTC 2018

Hi Matthew,

Matthew Glennon:
> While I understand that my relay lost the guard flag because of a weekend
> of downtime, I would expect that it would get it back after a while of
> stable again? Anyone able to shed some light on when it will get the flag
> back?
> https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/924B24AFA7F075D059E8EEB284CC400B33D3D036

"Directory authorities assign the Guard flag to relays based on three
characteristics: "bandwidth" (they need to have a large enough consensus
weight), "weighted fractional uptime" (they need to be working most of the
time), and "time known" (to make attacks more expensive, we don't want to give
the Guard flag to relays that haven't been around a while first). This last
characteristic is most relevant here: on today's Tor network, you're first
eligible for the Guard flag on day eight."

I will suggest you to read the lifecycle of the new relay post [1], the Guard
FAQ [2] and the guard flag section of the directory protocol [3].

[1] https://blog.torproject.org/lifecycle-new-relay
[2] https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq#EntryGuards
[3] https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/dir-spec.txt#n2490

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
~Vasilis
--
Fingerprint: 8FD5 CF5F 39FC 03EB B382 7470 5FBF 70B1 D126 0162
Pubkey: https://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5FBF70B1D1260162