[tor-relays] How helpful is it to run your own DNS server?

torix at protonmail.com torix at protonmail.com
Fri Mar 16 16:54:08 UTC 2018

Dear All,

I have seen mentions on this list of people using  pi-hole and unbound DNS servers in their setups, and I wondered if others had considered opinions as to the usefulness of doing this.  Pi-hole's biggest feature seems to be their filter lists to block extra/evil DNS queries, while Unbound seems to feature caching and validating functions.  I would think that a DNS cache that kept queries for a long time would certainly keep most of your queries out of an ISP's DNS logs.  Or are there DNS providers that are relatively immune to their logs being requited by others?

TIA,
--Torix