[tor-relays] middle relay connexions dropped in half

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 02:56:48 UTC 2018

> On 13 Mar 2018, at 20:51, mytormail <mytormail at posteo.net> wrote:
>
> I just doesn't feel right if donated capacity isn't used.

Oh, but your relay's spare capacity *is* used.
Just not the way you think.

A congested relay is a slow and unstable relay.

A relay with extra capacity has lower latency, and can deal with
unexpected traffic peaks.

We expect relays to use 30% - 60% of their capacity.
But I think we'd like 10% - 20% for the best latency.

Also, the network is still adjusting after the bandwidth authorities
being down for a few days, and a million extra clients leaving the
network. So it might take a few weeks for bandwidth to balance
out.