[tor-relays] memory requirements

notatorserver notatorserver at protonmail.com
Sat Mar 3 13:03:46 UTC 2018

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

On February 21, 2018 10:37 AM, nusenu <nusenu-lists at riseup.net> wrote:

> notatorserver:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have just setup a tor-relay and I am wondering if the resource requirements are still current:> "A non-exit relay faster than 40MBit/s should have at least 1 GB of RAM."\[1\]
>
> Yes, I still believe that you can run a relay if you have just 1 GB of RAM.
>
> (this is a lower boundary)
>
> > My relay is sitting at ~2.77G currently.
>
> assuming we talk about:
>
> https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/8BB171D82DDEC2CC751C5B63BA5439FB448A24B2
>
> I consider that a lot of memory for a relay added on 2018-02-15 and
>
> not being guard yet.
>
> You are currently running version 0.3.1.9 which is lacking the latest
>
> denial of service mitigations,
>
> it will get a lot better with the upcoming stable releases
>
> or if you upgrade to tor 0.3.3.2-alpha or newer.

I upgraded and replaced musl's malloc with tcmalloc. Now memory feels stable (currently at ~1.3G).

I also ran with heap profiling enabled for a day. Nothing interesting there.

I do see messages printed:

DoS mitigation since startup: 1632 circuits rejected, 6 marked addresses. 557 connections closed. 900 single hop clients refused.

Whether it was an attack or just my unfamiliarity with musl I guess we will never know...