[tor-relays] FreeBSD 11.1 ZFS Tor Image

Moritz Bartl moritz at torservers.net
Sat Mar 3 10:27:46 UTC 2018

On 03.03.2018 07:11, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> Apparently the link from my blog post, to
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorExitGuidelines
> no longer has any mention pro or con disk encryption. I wonder if that
> was intentionally removed by the torservers.net folks (maybe they have
> even changed their mind on the advice?), or if it just fell out because
> it's a wiki.

I added the recommendation for "no disk encryption" back then, and it
wasn't me who removed it.

My own opinion has changed slightly: My general advice would still be to
not do disk encryption, to reduce the amount of hassle and allow easier
'audits'. For additional protection, you better move the relay keys to a
RAM disk.

However, in our case, we don't really care how long they keep the
machines for analysis, and we do not reuse hardware that was seized (it
goes back into the provider pool, so some other customer might be in for
a surprise...). In that case, a relay operator may decide to use disk
encryption for integrity reasons: They at least have to ask you for the
decryption key and cannot silently copy content or easily manipulate the
file system.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/