[tor-relays] Running a relay at home (was: Port not rechable)

Matthew Finkel matthew.finkel at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 20:16:44 UTC 2018

On Fri, Mar 02, 2018 at 03:01:31PM -0500, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 02, 2018 at 07:42:11PM +0000, Matthew Finkel wrote:
> > Are you running this relay at your home? If yes, then that is not
> > recommended, but
>
> For the record, it's running *exit* relays at home that is not
> recommended. Running non-exit relays at home is typically fine -- the
> most likely problems are that some overzealous blacklist will put your
> IP address on their list, making some websites not work so well for you
> if you also use that IP address for your own traffic. Some of these
> overzealous blacklists are just being stupid, because they don't
> understand about exit policies:
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq#ExitPolicies
> but others of them are intentionally trying to harm people who are
> trying to support Tor:
> http://paulgraham.com/spamhausblacklist.html

Just for the record, this is exactly why I don't recommend it from my
exerience. I lost access to my bank's website (plus some other sites)
for a while because I did this. It's must less risky running a non-exit
than running an exit, but there may be unintended side effects that make
the experience less fun overall for the operator.