[tor-relays] less than 3 bw auths available: self-measurement (with 10k cap in effect)

Stijn Jonker sjcjonker at sjc.nl
Fri Mar 2 15:15:27 UTC 2018

On 2 Mar 2018, at 12:08, Vasilis wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Roger Dingledine:
>> On Tue, Feb 27, 2018 at 06:47:00PM +0000, nusenu wrote:
>
>>> if your relays behave strangely in terms of bandwidth seen, than this
>>> might be due to the fact that there are less than 3 bw auth votes available.
>>>
>>> If you run a fast relay it is capped to 10k cw.
>>>
>>> This affects currently the 857 fastest relays.
>>
>> Yep! We had 4 running, but 2 of them had problems, and we need 3
>> for the authorities to want to use the values from them.
>
> Perhaps it makes sense to do a call and add some more bandwidth authority relays
> during the upcoming meeting in Rome similar to the Montreal meeting.

Would the following documents still be valid (They themselves state they might be outdated)?
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/BandwidthAuthority
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/BandwidthAuthorityMeasurements

Also what bandwidth should an bwauth have available itself?

I can see if I can support by running one, although it will be EU based.

Stijn