[tor-relays] fix this please

teor teor2345 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 00:20:48 UTC 2018

> On 30 Jun 2018, at 09:27, I <beatthebastards at inbox.com> wrote:
>
> The installation guide https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian.html.en points to a dead end if you choose the experimental version because it hasn't been changed to 0.3.4.x.

Here's the existing ticket:

I've cc'd hiro, who merges website patches.

> The torrc that comes with 0.3.4.x is from 2013.

Tor configs haven't changed much since 2013.

And that's deliberate: every time we update the minimal torrc, package managers
ask operators if they want to overwrite their existing torrc, and some operators
say "yes". Then they wonder why their relays break.

Instead, we have:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/tree/src/config/torrc.minimal.in-staging
And:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/tree/src/config/torrc.sample.in

We'll push a torrc.minimal update when there are enough changes, or when
there's a critical update. (We try to make the torrc code backwards compatible,
so that doesn't happen very often.)