[tor-relays] A general question for relay operators

Keifer Bly keifer.bly at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 01:45:13 UTC 2018

Before I started running a relay, one thing I wish I had known was that a relay has to be running for about three months and also continuously be offering 2mb/s network traffic to be used as a Guard relay. This is difficult If running a relay in the United States, as most ISPS in the US (or at least the major ones such as Charter, Comcast, AT&T, etc.) are cable ISPS, making even getting, let alone maintaining this speed to a relay very difficult (or impossible). As a result my relay is only ever used as a middle node.

➢ For others, there might be a learning curve in keeping a network service
up with decent uptime, while updating the relevant ports and operating
system.

Yes, this is the most annoying thing for me. I had a glitch last night where my relay became unreachable for several hours because my router decided to change what device the port forwarding was for for some reason (I had not logged I the router and done this).

It is also a pain at times keeping the OS, especially on macOS, the newer versions of which my not support older machines, up to date while trying to keep the relay stable, as relay status is changed so quickly (removing relays from the conseoucsus list within 40 mins) which can be troublesome for areas that sometimes experience power outages, which happens during winter where my relay is run. What seems strange to me is that I see there is a “running” flag. This flag seems pointless to me if the relay is just completely removed from the conseoucsus if it’s detected as not currently running to begin with; why not just give an “X” flag if the relay is unreachable for three days or so?

Let me know what you all think.