[tor-relays] Is Tor-network protected from using one hop?

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Tue Jun 26 14:31:53 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 10:27:29AM -0400, Matt Traudt wrote:
> Even before the DoS mitigation stuff, relays wouldn't allow themselves
> to be used as the only hop in a circuit. Apparently this affects onion
> service circuits too.

Right. Relays protect themselves from being used as one-hop proxies,
because it could make life harder for the operators:

"Currently there is no reason to suspect that investigating a single
relay will yield user-destination pairs, but if many people are using
only a single hop, we make it more likely that attackers will seize or
break into relays in hopes of tracing users."

https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq#ChoosePathLength

--Roger