[tor-relays] bridge installation help please

Keifer Bly keifer.bly at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 03:01:42 UTC 2018

Ok. It could be possible your tor installation was somehow corrupted. Try completely uninstalling tor with this command

As root: apt-get remove tor

This should completely uninstall tor

I am saying this as it could be that somehow one of your tor files was accidentally deted or moved. Doing this will unfortunately mean that you will have to go through these steps again

1. In the terminal root window type “apt install tor”. This will tell Linux to install the tor relay packages.

2. In the root terminal window, type “gedit /etc/tor/torrc” This sould open the file so you can add the bridge configuration.

3. If Linux yells at you for trying to install unrecognized  packages in installing tor, do the following things listed  here: https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian.html.en

Please, I would ask, run pluggable transport bridge as opposed to a vanilla bridge (which is what your setting up), as pluggable transport bridges are more difficult to detect for network censors.

Find how to do that here: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/PluggableTransports/obfs4prox

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers.