[tor-relays] bridge installation help please

Keifer Bly keifer.bly at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 23:28:16 UTC 2018

This is Debian Linux your doing this on correct? I am assuming this as most relays are run on Linux.

Here are the steps I’d use to install tor on Linux:

1. Open the Linux terminal
2. Sign into the Linux root account by typing su, then press enter. Liux will then ask you for a password; type the password you set  as the administrator password when you set upr your Linux login (this might not be a 100% necessary step, but  in my experience Linux can be quite naggy about users not having permission to install software and this should help avoid that issue).
3. In the terminal root window type “apt install tor”. This will tell Linux to install the tor relay packages.

4. In the root terminal window, type “gedit /etc/tor/torrc” This sould open the file so you can add the bridge configuration.

5. If Linux yells at you for trying to install unrecognized  packages in installing tor, do the following things listed  here: https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian.html.en

Please, I would ask, run pluggable transport bridge as opposed to a vanilla bridge (which is what your setting up), as pluggable transport bridges are more difficult to detect for network censors.

Find how to do that here: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/PluggableTransports/obfs4prox

Cheers.