[tor-relays] Tor Relay Operators Needs

Matthew Glennon matthew at glennon.online
Fri Jun 22 12:13:37 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 4:14 PM Ian Zimmerman <itz at very.loosely.org> wrote:

> On 2018-06-21 08:25, Matthew Glennon wrote:
>
> > Relays intending to act as Guards choose port 443 because it (and 80) are
> > usually reachable in the tightest of network security situations (where
> > traffic destined for most all other ports is blocked at the
> > gateway/firewall.) At least that's my reasoning for it.
>
> I run a bridge [1] on other ports (9030 and 9001).  How much would it
> help to move it to port 80?  I think at the time I configured it I still
> had a normal http server on port 80, but this no longer applies.

That depends on your target audience. Because you're a Bridge, you need to
advertise your entry point in external ways. If the audience you're
reaching can't get to you on the ports you choose then considering other
ports is an option.

> By the way: why can I not see the ports (under OR Addresses) or anything
> under Transport protocols in the metrics listing?

I believe this is because you're a bridge. The entire point of a Bridge is
to be hidden from the censors trying to block entry to the Tor Network, so
we don't want to publish that information on Metrics.

> [1]
>
> https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#details/EEB31B5D6DE98CFA1C3243DA0E7CFDAA08D53593
>
> --

Matthew Glennon