[tor-relays] default exit notice HTML page on exits?

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Wed Jun 20 15:28:00 UTC 2018

Eran Sandler:
> I certainly think it should be added by default.

I agree that an html page giving some basic information about
tor on every exit relay IP makes sense.

If there are no major concerns from other operators to enable
this _by default_ I will open a trac ticket to start
discussions with the tor developers.

> We can ask the community (or get some friends over at EFF) to help draft
> something that is legally correct and language relevant (though I don't
> think that it has to be in the local language for it to be legally binding).
>
> Regarding what to display and how, that can be a combination of a few
> things:
>
>    1. Defined country in the config (can be part of the proposed
>    contactinfo spec you mentioned) - so that if there is a way to set it in
>    case geoip DB is not up-to-date with all the various IP addresses
>    migrations that happen
>    2. GeoIP based on a local DB. That might be great but it would a)
>    increase download size and b) would have to be updated a bit more
>    frequently. It doesn't make too much send to ship a geoip DB just to verify
>    an address once.

in my last email I was referring to the local DB  (that is already shipped with tor packages and is based of
maxmind's data).

>    Another solution would be some kind of a Tor managed or secure server to
>    perform resolution when the relay starts (should have a flag to disable it
>    in the config). That way no logs are saved and we can figured things out in
>    a more accessible manner. Installation would be smaller and that service
>    will always have an up-to-date geoip DB.

you might also use RIPEstat APIs for this.

--
https://twitter.com/nusenu_
https://mastodon.social/@nusenu