[tor-relays] default exit notice HTML page on exits?

Eran Sandler eran at sandler.co.il
Wed Jun 20 15:10:06 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jun 20, 2018 at 6:00 PM nusenu <nusenu-lists at riseup.net> wrote:

> Eran Sandler:
> >    1. It requires configuration and doesn't come preconfigured.
>
> also: if you think DirPort on exits should ship a HTML file by default,
> we can bring this up with tor developers in a trac ticket.

I certainly think it should be added by default.

> In that case tor should warn (logfiles) if DirPort is not enabled or not
> on port 80
>
> The biggest problem would probably be: what html would you ship globally
> by _default_?
> or should we use the (already available) geoip info to detect in which
> country the exit
> is in and display a localized* version accordingly?
>
> *) localized: not only language-wise but also legal-wise

We can ask the community (or get some friends over at EFF) to help draft
something that is legally correct and language relevant (though I don't
think that it has to be in the local language for it to be legally binding).

Regarding what to display and how, that can be a combination of a few
things:

   1. Defined country in the config (can be part of the proposed
   contactinfo spec you mentioned) - so that if there is a way to set it in
   case geoip DB is not up-to-date with all the various IP addresses
   migrations that happen
   2. GeoIP based on a local DB. That might be great but it would a)
   increase download size and b) would have to be updated a bit more
   frequently. It doesn't make too much send to ship a geoip DB just to verify
   an address once.

   Another solution would be some kind of a Tor managed or secure server to
   perform resolution when the relay starts (should have a flag to disable it
   in the config). That way no logs are saved and we can figured things out in
   a more accessible manner. Installation would be smaller and that service
   will always have an up-to-date geoip DB.

Eran