[tor-relays] Relay bandwidth accounting

alkyl at riseup.net alkyl at riseup.net
Mon Jun 18 05:13:00 UTC 2018

Sean Brown:
> I just set up a new non-exit relay and in going through information to set up, I came across the T-shirt for contributing and in addition to running for 2 months it says "if you're not an exit but you average 500 KBytes/s traffic."
>
> What would be the best way to keep accounting of the traffic my relay is passing? I know of the metrics.torproject.org, is that all the project would need?

For your own personal records, you could look into using vnstat or nyx.
I use a cron job to update my relay's webpage[1] with some traffic stats
from vnstati, a tool that makes images using data from vnstat. Example
here[2] (scroll down). This is just for my own fun, though.

I presume whoever runs tshirt at torproject.org is going to use the Relay
Search tool on metrics. Check out the sources webpage[3] for more info
on how that data is collected.

For anyone else interested in these t-shirts, see this webpage for more
information[4].

[1] https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-manual.html#DirPortFrontPage
[2] http://lu1.tor.exit.alkyl.eu.org
[3] https://metrics.torproject.org/sources.html