[tor-relays] Trying to set up a relay at home, but get no connections

Neel Chauhan neel at neelc.org
Mon Jun 11 21:38:31 UTC 2018

Do you have an alternative choice of ISP? In many countries, you often
do (e.g. Europe, East Asia). In others, you usually don't (e.g. USA,
small island nations). If you don't, another option is a VPN with a
public IP address (that is, if you are willing to pay for one).

Once Verizon FiOS (US FTTH ISP) blocked the consensus node tor26
(86.59.21.38) and just tor26 and I thought that was absurd, but this is
on a whole another level. At least Verizon still let me run a Tor relay
(they technically ban it, but nobody enforces it), and I did get tor26
unblocked after posting on the NANOG mailing list. At least I still had
the cable company here as well, but in the US cable usually sucks (some
have cable as their only option if you don't want 1.5-6mbps DSL).

Maybe your ISP hates Tor and doesn't want you to run a relay. Most
broadband ISPs in countries which don't block Tor usually let you run a
relay even if their TOS says it's not allowed, but if you don't have net
neutrality in your country, an ISP can freely block consensus nodes to
prevent you from being a relay. Unfortunate, but probably is true in
your case. If you are willing to get political, you should push for net
neutrality in your country.

-Neel Chauhan

===

https://www.neelc.org/