[tor-relays] Tor Network Safety Precautions

Keifer Bly keifer.bly at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 00:48:42 UTC 2018

Hello,

So I am aware that the tor network has some built in safety mechanisms to protect tor users from attacks (such as from malicious tor relays, surveillance based attacks, etc).

I am aware of some of tors safety mechanisms; I know that tor will automatically switch out which relays the tor browser is connecting through so as to prevent relays from being able to log traffic flowing through them. I am also aware that tor browser will automatically redirect to https secure websites to prevent end to end correlation attacks on users.

I am wondering, what are the other safety mechanisms that tor network does to prevent against attacks? Besides keeping the tor relay software on OS up to date (which I am doing), what are the safety precautions relay operators should consider (the OS my relay is running off of is macOS High Sierra).

Thank you.