[tor-relays] Trying to set up a relay at home, but get no connections

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Fri Jun 8 05:20:19 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jun 07, 2018 at 11:37:26PM -0500, Gunnar Wolf wrote:
> The following happens every couple of hours:

All of these log entries are fine and normal except this one:

>     Jun 07 09:36:19.000 [notice] Heartbeat: It seems like we are not in the cached consensus.
>     Jun 07 15:36:19.000 [notice] Heartbeat: It seems like we are not in the cached consensus.
>     Jun 07 21:36:19.000 [notice] Heartbeat: It seems like we are not in the cached consensus.

First, did your relay find itself reachable (both ORPort and DirPort)
at startup? Look for lines like

Jun 05 12:47:50.013 [notice] Self-testing indicates your ORPort is reachable from the outside. Excellent.

and

Jun 05 12:48:43.824 [notice] Self-testing indicates your DirPort is reachable from the outside. Excellent. Publishing server descriptor.

Second, assuming yes for the first question, I wonder if the directory
authorities are (still) finding it reachable. You can check the recent
votes at
https://collector.torproject.org/recent/relay-descriptors/votes/
or try the (easier to use if it works for you) interface at the bottom of
https://consensus-health.torproject.org/#relayinfo

Maybe your port forwarding is expiring after a little while?

--Roger