[tor-relays] Tor Guard Relay

Neel Chauhan neel at neelc.org
Thu Jun 7 20:54:19 UTC 2018

On 2018-06-07 14:08, Keifer Bly wrote:
> Thanks. How much bandwidth and uptime do I need to become a guard
> relay?
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Bandwidth requirments:

> A guard is the first relay in the chain of 3 relays building a Tor
> circuit.
> A middle relay is neither a guard nor an exit, but acts as the second
> hop
> between the two. To become a guard, a relay has to be stable and fast
> (at
> least 2MByte/s) otherwise it will remain a middle relay.

Source: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/TorRelayGuide

For the "Stable" flag:

>   "Stable" -- A router is 'Stable' if it is active, and either its
> Weighted
>   MTBF is at least the median for known active routers or its Weighted
> MTBF
>   corresponds to at least 7 days. Routers are never called Stable if
> they are
>   running a version of Tor known to drop circuits stupidly.
> (0.1.1.10-alpha
>   through 0.1.1.16-rc are stupid this way.)

Source: https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/tree/dir-spec.txt

Looking that you have Charter as your ISP, and Charter is a cable ISP,
upstream speeds are usually limited. This means that unless your cable
company gives at least 16 megabits of upload speed, you cannot become a
guard. Also, many parts of the US have cable broadband, but not fiber,
so they're stuck with slow upload speeds for now, and if they want to be
a Tor relay, may not have the Guard flag unless they have a higher speed
package hopefully with enough upload bandwidth (and it may only be
between 16-35 mbps upload).

CableLabs (who maintains DOCSIS, the standard for cable modems) is
working on a new technology called Full Duplex DOCSIS 3.1 which
supposedly makes cable broadband have similar upload speeds to fiber
connections.

Source: https://www.cablelabs.com/full-duplex-docsis/

Sadly, it's not a reality yet, so for a few more years you'll probably
have to live with slow upload speeds until it comes (provided that cable
companies deploy full duplex tech).

If you really want the Guard flag right now, another option is to get an
unmetered VPS. Some networks like OVH, Online.net/Scaleway, Hetzner, and
Digital Ocean are very popular for relays and many in the Tor community
consider that new relays should avoid "popular" networks.

Two good VPS providers to consider include ITL and BuyVM (I have two
VPSes each with both for exits). You could also look at other unmeterd
providers like Contabo and Trabia as well.

You could also check if your phone company or another provider (like
Google) has fiber in your area, but considering that you're in the US,
many Americans have cable as their only high speed option (because most
telcos refuse to deploy fiber).

Hope this helps.

-Neel Chauhan

===