[tor-relays] Tor Guard Relay

Neel Chauhan neel at neelc.org
Thu Jun 7 12:39:13 UTC 2018

The guard flag gets automatically assigned to you if you have enough
bandwidth and uptime. You usually don't get to choose. You can still
influence it by inducing downtime or limiting bandwidth (but both will
be counterproductive). There are no risks in being a guard node, unlike
being an exit. That's why web hosts are okay with guard nodes but not
exits, and also why you can be a guard node on a broadband connection
without getting complaints from your ISP. Abuse complaints don't go to a
guard node, it goes to exits as exits connect directly to requested
non-onion websites and guards don't.

-Neel Chauhan

===

https://www.neelc.org/