[tor-relays] NTP and tor

Michael Brodhead mkb_cbr at mac.com
Mon Jul 30 22:34:37 UTC 2018

I brought up my first relay over the weekend and I am waiting for traffic to ramp up.

In a few places I've read the suggestion to use NTP to keep the relay's clock in sync. Fair enough, but now there is a problem...

I've been reading up on NTP a bit and using ntpdate to occasionally update the system time is now deprecated. We're supposed to run ntpd. Ntpd docs make it sound like ntpd needs to run a listener to function at all. I'd rather not add additional attack surface to my relay.

Those of you who run relays, how are you keeping your system clock in sync?

My relay is on FreeBSD 11.

Thanks,

---mkb