[tor-relays] greyponyit.com free trial report

Conrad Rockenhaus conrad at rockenhaus.com
Sun Jul 29 22:40:03 UTC 2018

On Friday, July 27, 2018 3:32:28 AM CDT Dmitrii Tcvetkov wrote:
> Since 25.07.2018 I'm running Tor exit relay
> BBF17F784433635FA28E7E585D05FE3B15A31A6B on FreeBSD VPS. Although
> AS16276 is quite crowded, fact that IP address space is SWIPed to Conrad
> Rockenhaus means that I, as relay operator, don't need to deal with a
> torrent of abuse complaints because of usual exit activity. This allows
> to run relay with default exit policy.
>
> The VPS has OS FreeBSD 11.2 on KVM hypervisor (hypervisor maybe
> different for newer VPS though), storage is ZFS on GPT.
>
> The relay is too young to reach it's full potential, I may post
> updates in the future.

Thank you for the note. I just wanted to advise that the AS that I'm provising
new nodes on presently is crowded as my other site isn't ready yet (it's a
colo so I have to physically ship new equipment there) but my intention is to
introduce more FreeBSD Exits to Tor, not just ordinary relays. I think we
could always use a few more exits even in this AS.

The newer infrastructure is Xen based now. So far we've successfully added
nine FreeBSD Tor Exits in the past few days. I think that's great for OS
Diversity and for expanding the amount of capacity and overal quaility of
service we provide to our end users.

Thank you to everyone for your interest and if you are interested in running a
FreeBSD or even a...Linux Exit relay with a one month trial please don't
hesitate to let me know.

Finally, I've been asked - what's my motivation here? Honestly, I'm supporting
the community and the Torproject, and I wish I could do it for free, but I
have to charge for the cost of hosting+slight overhead. I don't make a profit.
This project is here because I see a huge gap in high speed exits and want to
provide the community the opportunity to help. I hope that smooths over any
questions anyone has.

Conrad

--
Conrad Rockenhaus