[tor-relays] Strange Traffic behaviour

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Sun Jul 29 07:45:00 UTC 2018

Roger Dingledine:
> On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 07:59:08PM +0200, Tobias Sachs wrote:
>> Hibernation is set to 19 TB???s of outgoing Traffic. Hetzner Cloud
>> shows ~16TB outgoing traffic and the relays log itself 38TB.
>
> Can you give us your actual torrc lines?
>
> Also, how about the log lines, particularly the ones that talk about
> when it woke up, when it went into hibernation, when it plans to
> wake up again, etc?
>
>> vnstat reports exactly 20.38 TiB tx so in conclusion Hetzner can
>> not count there Bits and Bytes or the same as protection is not
>> correct.
>
> Maybe some of these transmitted bytes went to other Hetzner servers,
> which they don't count as "really" sending bytes to the Internet.
>
>> Because if Hetzner???s stats are correct i would have send 3 TB???s
>> of Traffic to other Tor servers and clients internally.

seems reasonable to me

> Because
>> internal traffic is not counted.
>
> Ah, yes, this is what you suggested. Maybe? That's a lot (a large
> fraction) given that Hetzner doesn't have that large a fraction of
> the Tor network these days.

Hetzner hosts > 7% of the tor network capacity (#3 on the biggest ASes on the tor network).

If I know the relays IP I could give you the probabilities of your relay
relaying traffic to others in the same AS (since a relay will usually not
be used with others in the same /16 netblock)

--
https://twitter.com/nusenu_
https://mastodon.social/@nusenu