[tor-relays] Something strange noticed on tor metrics

Matthew Finkel matthew.finkel at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 02:35:55 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jul 27, 2018 at 04:40:46PM -0700, Keifer Bly wrote:

> Hello,
>
> So today I w as checking my relay on tor metrics https://metrics.torproject.org/networksize.html
>
> I noticed something strange, according to the graph, the number of bridges seems to have suddenly completely dropped to zero (the bridges line just after “2018-07”) and now slowly climbing back up. I am wondering did something happen that knocked all of the bridges offline? It seemed strange so I just thought I would report.

Yes, the Bridge Directory Authority changed, and Metrics only received
the bridges from one of the new bridge dirauth. Unfortunately, nearly
all of the existing bridges were still publishing to the old bridge
dirauth. As a result, Metrics saw the number of bridges drop the
approximately zero. Slowly bridges are updating and using the new
bridge dirauth instead.

[0]
https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-0339-bridge-authority-update
[1]