[tor-relays] FamilyGenerator: Tor MyFamily Generator

Iain Learmonth irl at torproject.org
Sun Jul 22 13:48:52 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 22/07/18 10:11, nusenu wrote:
> - you run your own AS and all servers in that AS are under your control (parameter: as)
> https://metrics.torproject.org/onionoo.html#parameters_as

This effectively puts MaxMind in charge of MyFamily.

> - all your relays are under your own DNS domain and only you can generate DNS A records for that domain
> and [1] is implemented
> (note: these onionoo fields appear currently somewhat broken)

There is no attempt currently to perform any DNSSEC or other validation.
The changes don't actually improve trust, just allow you to see data
that was previously discarded (when there was no A record).

Onionoo is useful for many things, but I don't think this is one of
them. Instead, you can use Ansible/Salt/Puppet/whatever to configure
MyFamily and there are plenty of ways out there to do this.

Thanks,
Iain.