[tor-relays] Discounts/Free Trials on BSD instances to promote BSD relays?

Conrad Rockenhaus conrad at rockenhaus.com
Thu Jul 19 08:48:07 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jul 18, 2018 at 11:10 PM, teor <teor at riseup.net> wrote:

>> On 19 Jul 2018, at 11:34, Conrad Rockenhaus <conrad at rockenhaus.com> wrote:
>>
>> To the point - would it be fair to network stability to offer a week
>> long free trial to run a tor instance, well, that is if that's what
>> the user hopefully runs? Would such a model even have an affect on
>> increasing the number of BSD instances we have on Tor presently?
>
> Exits typically see some traffic after a week.
>
> It can take guards and middles a few months to get decent traffic.
>
> So maybe a month-long trial would be more rewarding?

This sounds pretty reasonable. Right now I'm working on trying to
automate as much as I can with bsd-cloudinit and such as well as
getting the Tax Exempt status paperwork in order, as I'm trying to
pursue this as an opportunity as another avenue about the educational
and security benefits of using BSD systems. I don't expect to turn a
profit...my hope is to break even sometime though.

Anyway, I'm not sure what the level of interest would be, so I figure
I would be very conservative and configure the free trial instances
with the following parameters for now:

1 vCPU
2 GB RAM
30 GB Disk
10 mbit/Unlimited Traffic

I'll adjust the numbers as I assess demand, I just don't want a
potential high level of interest and have to turn people away. Do
these numbers sound reasonable? I have room to work within.

I did a horrible job of creating a web page. I had to use something to
help me as my web page skills stopped at...html, maybe some JS...
people expect pretty these days and I even made the machine that
generates pretty pages generate ugly. That's impressive.

Thanks,

Conrad

--
Conrad Rockenhaus

Get started with GreyPony Anonymization Today!

https://www.greyponyit.com