[tor-relays] killall -hup command

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Wed Jul 4 18:39:57 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jul 03, 2018 at 04:23:27PM -0700, Keifer Bly wrote:
> Yes, but I randomly lost the stable flag last night after using the
>killall -hup command twice in one day. I did it strange that randomly
>happened even though my uptime did not change after doing this.

The Stable flag, like Guard and Fast, is relative: it has to do with how
your relay compares to the other relays in the network at the time. So
you can leave your relay alone and yet it can still add or lose various
flags, depending on what happens with *other* relays. For example,
maybe some historically more stable relays came back online.

This will be especially true if your relay is already on the borderline
of whether directory authorities think it should get one of the flags,
since a little nudge in one direction or another can make a difference.

My guess is that the stable flag assignment had nothing to do with
sending the hup signal, and it was just a coincidence.

--Roger