[tor-relays] killall -hup command

Zac mrdetonia at protonmail.com
Wed Jul 4 06:57:06 UTC 2018

The 'kill' commands send various signals to processes, as defined in signals.h (see https://linux.die.net/man/7/signal).
-hup sends SIGHUP to the process(es), short for hangup. This historically was for when a serial connection was dropped, and the process needed to close / take action accordingly. For daemon processes, and more commonly with modern software, the response to SIGHUP is to re-read configuration files and restart the process.

It is likely the case that you are losing the stable flag because Tor drops existing connections in the process of restarting and reloading configuration when it receives SIGHUP. Someone more familiar with Tor internals might be able to confirm what exactly is happening there.

-MrDetonia