[tor-relays] tor alpha users: if you are still running 0.3.3.5-rc..

Matthew Glennon matthew at glennon.online
Tue Jul 3 23:20:02 UTC 2018

I would guess that people that made this mistake just misunderstood how apt
sources work? Just unfamiliar with the distribution method?
If that's you:
You can have more than one source that supplies a given package and it's
apt's job to pick the right one (or make you do it if it can't.) So you can
just leave the stable branch listed - generally whichever source has the
higher available version will win. You get the cutting edge alphas until
they push it to stable (and you can remove/update the alpha source at your
leisure.)

Happy to help with the test branches.

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 9:54 AM nusenu <nusenu-lists at riseup.net> wrote:

> Dear debian/ubuntu tor alpha repo users,
>
> there is an oddly high number of
> relays running 0.3.3.5-rc
> which was the last version before the 0.3.3.x alpha repo
> has been discontinued.
>
> If you are doing apt upgrades and don't get tor v0.3.3.7 your sources list
> is
> likely incorrectly setup (only containing the experimental lines without
> the tor stable lines),
> please ensure you copy and paste the sources.list lines from
>
> https://www.torproject.org/docs/debian.html.en#ubuntu
>
> after choosing your settings from the drop down.
>
> Note: as already noted on this list, the page is slightly outdated.
>
> If you want to help testing 0.3.4.x you should replace
> '0.3.3.x' with '0.3.4.x'
> in your sources.list
>

> bonus points if you want to share
> the reason why you had a misconfigured sources.list
> file (maybe we can improve / avoid that somewhere)
>
> --
> https://twitter.com/nusenu_
> https://mastodon.social/@nusenu

Matthew Glennon