[tor-relays] Problem implementing IPv6 and NYX info

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sun Jul 1 21:24:50 UTC 2018

On Sun, Jul 01, 2018 at 11:24:44AM -0700, arisbe wrote:
> After a restart, both relays ramped up to a volume of connections where I
> was comfortable that the changes were good.

That's probably because you were listed in the last consensus, which
was already being used by a bunch of existing clients, so when the relay
came back online those clients resumed trying to use it.

>  Visiting them 12 hours later I
> find connections in the few hundred and no flags.

That's typically because the directory authorities didn't find you
reachable. You need to be reachable on all of your advertised addresses
in order to get the Running flag in directory authority votes.

In an ideal world the dir auths would end up creating a consensus naming
the addresses that are reachable, and just leave out the unreachable
ones, but we're not there yet. (And also maybe that actually isn't the
ideal behavior, since it could result in many relay operators thinking
they are using an address when they're not.)

> And, finally, a quick question:  Does NYX display incoming and outgoing IPv6
> relay information?  I assume ARM does not.

This I do not know. :)

Thanks for running relays,
--Roger