[tor-relays] MyFamily and ContactInfo fields are required for operators running multiple tor instances

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 20:51:43 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 3:08 PM, Vinícius Zavam <egypcio at googlemail.com> wrote:
> what about those using *only*
> PGP key fingerprints as ContactInfo? valid keys, publicly available (with
> working email address, and personal info from the admin).
>
> will these relays be removed from the network, or tagged as "bad" ones?

Seems to me that any readily discernible format of listing any
reasonably frictionless contact method should be viewed as ok...

PGP, ricochet, IPFS, postal mail, email, CJDNS, telephone,
twitter, ICQ, blockchain message, whatever.

Ambiguous addresses of such systems can be made
discernible / differentiable by prefixing them with tags...
pgp:, tel:, onioncat:<ipv6>, irc network, etc

If someone obfuscates an email address by converting it
to binary blob or digits, without explaining it in the contact
field as such, that's probably not 'readily discernible'.

Nor would closed source or paid services likely be
a 'reasonably frictionless' means of communication
for many in this space.

The more complex or esoteric the system, or unbuffered realtime
presence it requires to use it, the more likely no one will bother,
leading to potential problems when trying to...

"Hey, what's up with your relay?".