[tor-relays] High number of simultaneous connections from a single host

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Wed Jan 31 15:32:15 UTC 2018

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 05:21:38PM +0200, zless wrote:
> I was inspecting my node and just saw that it has a very high number of
> connections.
>
> It jumped from the normal 6000-7000 to more than 17000 simultaneous
> connections.
>
> Looking at the connections with `ss` I see some hosts with over 1000
> connections while the majority is usually bellow 10.

In the future, you should avoid including IP addresses like this. Some of
these are normal Tor users who probably don't like having their addresses
listed. After all, the goal of your relay is to provide privacy, right?

> Is it normal for a single host to produce so many connections?
>
> How do you people handle such situations?

It is not normal. I recommend either trying out the new mitigation
feature in git master, or waiting until it gets into a release:

https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2018-January/014357.html
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2018-January/014175.html
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2017-December/014002.html

--Roger