[tor-relays] High number of simultaneous connections from a single host

zless tor at dmesg.site
Wed Jan 31 15:21:38 UTC 2018

Hello everyone,

I was inspecting my node and just saw that it has a very high number of
connections.

It jumped from the normal 6000-7000 to more than 17000 simultaneous
connections.

Looking at the connections with `ss` I see some hosts with over 1000
connections while the majority is usually bellow 10.

Here are some stats with the IP and the associated number of simultaneous
connections:

212.32.226.237 : 1531
207.244.110.200 : 1520
162.210.192.70 : 1471
207.244.70.120 : 1455
198.7.59.194 : 1454
212.32.239.28 : 1450
5.79.103.239 : 1414
5.79.103.238 : 1401
51.15.162.120 : 1379
37.48.104.231 : 56
5.79.72.66 : 26
37.48.105.240 : 25
212.83.3.154 : 25
78.46.99.242 : 23
178.63.47.145 : 18
46.4.84.142 : 17
213.133.100.55 : 17
46.4.106.87 : 15
144.76.18.214 : 14

Is it normal for a single host to produce so many connections?

How do you people handle such situations?

Thanks