[tor-relays] Tor uses up all available memory and eventually quits

r1610091651 r1610091651 at telenet.be
Tue Jan 30 23:45:43 UTC 2018

On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 at 11:06 teor <teor2345 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Try to make sure MaxMemInQueues allows 10-20s of traffic.
>

> Hi teor

That advice is quite sensible in my opinion and should be incorporated into
tor mainline. With the recent load spikes, I've always wanders why is there
a need for that may MB or even GB of queue memory. If it can't be
retransmitted in few seconds, it will be retransmitted by source and will
increase the queues further...

The current setting for maxmeminqueue is 256MB and will correct itself if
lowered. I would suggest to make that value rate dependent, either
configured or measured.

 To your knowledge, was there any thought put into such a dynamic config,
instead of fixed percentage of free memory, independent of the actual
throughput?

Regards
Seb