[tor-relays] hidden service performance

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Sun Jan 21 21:38:28 UTC 2018

On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 10:55:16AM -0800, Igor Mitrofanov wrote:
> I'd like to call out the apparent hidden service performance slowdown:
> https://metrics.torproject.org/torperf.html?start=2017-04-23&end=2018-01-21&source=all&server=onion&filesize=50kb
>
> I hope the dev team is looking into it.

That time frame matches exactly the overload issues we're dealing with.

See these previous posts for info:
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2017-December/014002.html
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2018-January/014175.html

That second post includes an explanation for why onion service performance
will be more affected ("for one concrete example").

We're working on some mitigations that adventurous relay operators will
be able to run to be more fair with their relay resources:
https://bugs.torproject.org/24902
but they're still under review, so they're not quite at the stage yet
where people should just grab them and apply them. :)

--Roger