[tor-relays] Tor 0.3.2.9 Linux - first period fine, since today lots of: Your computer is too slow to handle this many circuit creation requests!

Stijn Jonker sjcjonker at sjc.nl
Thu Jan 18 10:44:17 UTC 2018

Hi All,

Is this a "known" issue, my non-exit relay has been running for over a
year, and although with the recent issues (attack / network issue or the
likes) with some ipfilter kunfu it managed to get through the storm
pretty well. Now all of a sudden since early today my logs are flooded
with:

Jan 18 11:34:44 tornode Tor[65839]: Your computer is too slow to handle
this many circuit creation requests! Please consider using the
MaxAdvertisedBandwidth config option or choosing a more restricted exit
policy. [204844 similar message(s) suppressed in last 60 seconds]

First message is at Jan 18 07:17:13, last just Jan 18 11:37:44, when
adding the # of circuits up, total in ~4 hours: 18033820 being 18
Million, which feels a bit much, but don't have any figures to compare.
On the current hardware this never seemed to be an issue, not even by
far it was normally (according to ESXi) at ~400-500mhz, now it's using 2
vCPU's at ~4000Mhz.

Now of course I can lower the bandwidth, but if these are low bandwidth
circuits then lowering the bandwidth from 10Mbyte/sec (peak
12,5Mbyte/sec) to a lower value might actually not resolve it.

Anybody seeing this as well and/or ideas / advice etc?

Stijn