[tor-relays] >30% of the Tor network runs outdated version: Consider enabling auto-updates

Ralph Seichter m16+tor at monksofcool.net
Sun Jan 14 09:56:20 UTC 2018

On 12.01.2018 17:05, nusenu wrote:

> The motivation for this is that there are a lot of relays (>3000)
> running outdated tor releases.

This reminds me that I wanted to ask about package updates:

I compile Tor from the source code on my Gentoo based relays, so after
the announcement of stable release 0.3.2.9 those relays were updated on
the same day, just like earlier releases. However, some of my relays use
Debian 8 "Jessie" with a limited package set (i.e. no compiler), and
apt-get is not yet listing the new Tor release. Would it be possible for
package maintainers to announce update availability via the tor-announce
mailing list?

-Ralph