[tor-relays] Nyx reported speed

John D. McDonnell mcdonnjd at pcam.org
Tue Jan 9 13:19:28 UTC 2018

I wondered if that might be the case. These are spare internet connections that we have for free, so we don't really want to put any resources into them as we don't actually use them. The one in my office we do have hooked up to a postal machine and cellular gateway and use for testing purposes, but the ones in our other buildings we don't use. I actually just upgraded the one in my office (curtesy of Goodwill for $4) from a v8 WRT54G (one of the crippled almost no RAM or ROM space) to the Belkin with 32MB of RAM which matches the Linksys e1200's RAM. I have both of them set for something like 32000 connections and I observed the one yesterday was sitting around 3000 connections with CPU and RAM resources still available. (I believe I read on DD-WRT's site somewhere that with 16MB of RAM it can support 32000 connections, though I've no first-hand experience with this, other than what I'm running now.)

If I get the chance to head to the other building where I have the other relay connected, I'll try connecting it directly to the internet and see how that affects the usage. (pf is set to not allow any connections besides ORport, DirPort, SSH, 80, and 443, so it should be fairly secure. Though I've not tested my rules to redirect 80 and 443 to DirPort and ORPort as my router was doing that for me.) On that note, if I plug directly in, I will also get an IPv6 address. Do I need to do anything besides set "IPv6Exit 1" to use it as an IPv6 exit? (Do I need to set the IPv6 OR port. It is not a static IP address and I don't know how often it will be forced to change.)

--
John McDonnell