[tor-relays] Nyx reported speed

John D. McDonnell mcdonnjd at pcam.org
Mon Jan 8 21:16:29 UTC 2018

Yeah, I've read the lifecycle of a new relay but since I'm running exits, I thought it might try to use more of my bandwidth by default. So I'm not sure if it's just the warmup period or if it's something I've misconfigured. I'm also not sure if it's just a limitation of the hardware I'm running on as well. I've repurposed a pair of Barracuda Spam Firewall 400's for the short depth 1u form factor, but I don't know if that's also a bottleneck on my speed as well.

CPU: AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3400+ (1799.99-MHz K8-class CPU)
  Origin="AuthenticAMD"  Id=0x40ff2  Family=0xf  Model=0x4f  Stepping=2
  Features=0x78bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2>
  Features2=0x2001<SSE3,CX16>
  AMD Features=0xea500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,FFXSR,RDTSCP,LM,3DNow!+,3DNow!>
  AMD Features2=0x19<LAHF,ExtAPIC,CR8>
real memory  = 4294967296 (4096 MB)

Only a 10/100 onboard NIC, but as I've only got a 25/5 internet connection that I'm sharing, that won't be a bottleneck.

I have an older model of the 400 that uses PATA on a RAID card that I previously used as a SQUID cache at home, but after sitting in storage for a couple years and moving from my old house to my new, it seems to no longer want to boot no matter what I toss at it, else I'd have 3 relays running by now.

(On a side note, if anyone has some spare hardware in a 1u short depth form that they'd like to donate, I'd be in the market! I've got 5 spare 25/5 internet connections that we don't use and I've only got relays on 2 of them. lol)

But for now I guess I'll just go back to waiting to see if it's just the lifecycle limitations.

Thank you for clearing up what the monitor was showing me though. I feel a lot better knowing that I'm not averaging such a low speed.

--
John McDonnell