[tor-relays] collecting info on Wikipedia blocking non-exits

0x010C tor at 0x010c.fr
Fri Jan 5 20:27:59 UTC 2018

Hi,

Besides being a relay operator, I'm a sysop on the French Wikipedia.

On all the Wikimedia projects, we have several blocking options. Tor relays are concerned by two of them:
* IPs of the exit nodes are automatically blocked based on the public list, see the 'TorBlock' Mediawiki Extension [1].
* When sysops found that vandalisms are coming from IPs bellowing to a hosting company (that are not likely to be legitimate connexions), it very often means that there are some open proxys so we manually "soft-block" (or block when needed) the complete IP range, see [2]. As a side effect, relays are often located on this kind of IP ranges, that's why guard and middle nodes are also often blocked.

"Soft-blocks" can be simply bypassed using an registered account, while to bypass a full block (to edit while using tor for example) it is needed to ask for an "IP block exempt flag", see [3] and [4].

— 0x010C

[1] <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:TorBlock>
[2] <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/No_open_proxies>
[3] <https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IP_block_exempt>