[tor-relays] collecting info on Wikipedia blocking non-exits

Andreas Krey a.krey at gmx.de
Fri Jan 5 09:05:31 UTC 2018

On Tue, 02 Jan 2018 15:13:16 +0000, Alison Macrina wrote:
> Hi friends,
>
> I'd like to collect some anecdata about this issue regarding Wikipedia
> blocking edits from Tor non-exit relays:
>
> If you run a non-exit relay, would you be so kind as to go to
> wikipedia.org from that IP, click "edit" on any page, and report to me
> off-list if your relay is blocked or not? In your message, please give
> me your relay address and let me know if it's ever functioned as an exit

Wikipedia says:

  Your IP address is in a range which has been blocked on all wikis.

  The block was made by Masti (meta.wikimedia.org). The reason given is Open proxy.

    Start of block: 18:42, 13 July 2017
    Expiration of block: 18:42, 13 July 2018

   You can contact Masti to discuss the block. You cannot
   use the "Email this user" feature unless a valid email
   address is specified in your account preferences and
   you have not been blocked from using it. Your current IP
   address is 2a01:4f8:141:608d::2, and the blocked range is
   2A01:4F8:0:0:0:0:0:0/32. Please include all above details in
   any queries you make.

Interestingly they are blocking the entire /32 which probably means
all of Hetzner at least at that site. Which probably means they are
not using a tor-specific block list here.)

Unfortunately I don't have a non-tor-node server there to cross-check.

Tor node is 'fastlane'.

- Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."