[tor-relays] collecting info on Wikipedia blocking non-exits

Tom Ritter tom at ritter.vg
Thu Jan 4 19:25:59 UTC 2018

For the benefit of others, to test this from a mac:

1) I ssh-ed to my relay using ssh -D 5555 user at relay

2) I opened up Firefox, went to preferences, at the bottom hit Network
Proxy Settings

3) I set *only* the socks host to localhost port 5555, Socks %, and
set Proxy DNS at the bottom

4) I went to whatismyipaddress.com and confirmed it came from my relay IP

5) I went to wikipedia and visited a non-front-page article (it turns
out articles from the front page often don't have an Edit link at the
top)

6) I got something that looked like an edit page, but at the top it said:

-------

Your IP address is in a range which has been blocked on all wikis.

The block was made by Vituzzu (meta.wikimedia.org). The reason given
is Open proxy: Linode (+2600:3C03:0:0:F03C:91FF:FE70:63CA).

Start of block: 22:53, 16 June 2013
Expiration of block: 12:51, 21 May 2018
--------

Alison: My relay is