[tor-relays] Happy New Year!

Shari Steele ssteele at torproject.org
Mon Jan 1 21:47:44 UTC 2018

Hey all.
I'd like to take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for working on Tor over the past year(s).  We are entering 2018 in really great shape, and we would not be here without your hard work.

- The Tor network and browser teams have grown over the past year and are full of amazing talent.  They've added new features and tightened security in 2017, and they'll be focused on increasing our usability and mobile adoption in 2018.
- The whole Tor Project staff grew quite a bit, and we hired several long-time contractors and volunteers into employee status.
- Our financials are stable.  We've started receiving more funding from non-US government sources, and our end-of-year campaign looks to have been a big success.  We won't know the exact totals until we get into the office tomorrow and add in all of the checks we've received over the past week, but even without those checks, this has been our best end-of-year fundraising campaign yet.
- We had two great all-hands meetings in 2017 in Amsterdam and Montreal.
- We have been strengthening our important relationship with Mozilla.

Thanks to everyone who contributes to making Tor so great, whether you are an employee, contractor, or volunteer.  I'd like to extend a special thanks to some of you who we don't thank nearly enough--those of you who run the Tor network as relay operators and directory authorities and countless other volunteer roles.  We couldn't do this without you!

I wish you all a healthy and happy 2018!
Shari

Shari Steele
Executive Director
The Tor Project
ssteele at torproject.org <mailto:ssteele at torproject.org>

public key: 69B4 D9BE 2765 A81E 5736  8CD9 0904 1C77 C434 1056

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the
individual who can labor in freedom."
        - Albert Einstein