[tor-relays] FreeBSD 11.1 ZFS Tor Image

George george at queair.net
Sun Feb 25 21:05:00 UTC 2018

Conrad Rockenhaus:
> Hello All,
>
> If anyone is interested, I have a RAW image of a FreeBSD 11.1 ZFS image that
> is fully configured and ready to run Tor. Right now it's an eight GB image, but
> I'm reducing the size by removing all of the extra stuff on it from the
> upgrade from FreeBSD 11 to 11.1.

I think it's great to ease the implementation of Tor relays,
particularly on BSDs.

However, I'd be wary of an image that I didn't build myself, personally.

> If you're interested in the image let me know. This image has been fully
> tested on OVH's Openstack infrastructure, so if you're interested in running
> it on their infrastructure, let me know and I can walk you through it, or
> you're more than welcome to host is within my cloud at cost (it's a low
> monthly rate and unlimited bandwidth).

Another issue is that OVH is over relied upon for public nodes. It's the
leading ASN with almost 15%.

https://torbsd.org/oostats/relays-bw-by-asn.txt

OTOH, I do think we (in particular BSD people) need to facilitate the
implementation of BSD relays, including for VPS services for those
looking to test the waters.

The TDP wiki has a list of other BSD-offering VPSs, plus a script for
Vultur to build on OpenBSD. I tend to think using other people's scripts
that can be reviewed and hacked is a better gateway for new relay
operators than images.

http://wiki.torbsd.org/doku.php?id=en:bsd-vps

34A6 0A1F F8EF B465 866F F0C5 5D92 1FD1 ECF6 1682